So I’m reading my twitter timeline and I keep seeing players getting waived because of the new Amnesty Clause in the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement. I see that Vince Carter was waived by the Phoenix Suns, Glibert Arenas has been waived by the Orlando Magic and from what I’ve been reading there is more to come.
So what does the Amnesty Rule mean? I’m glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. After much researching I learned its much to do about something. If I were to write an idiot’s guide to learning about the amnesty rule it would go something like this.
- Owners are now able to waive one of those crazy over the top contracts but out of the million that are out there it can only happen once a year.
- They can waive the player but can’t waive the salary. Interesting
- The owners are hype because they get if off their tax books so now they don’t have to pay the Luxury Tax.
- Luxury Tax well only Uncle Sam knows what that really means. It has to be pretty expensive though if your willing to waive a player and give him a paid vacation over paying a tax. I’m just sayin
- Now players don’t get to excited you may get the rest of the money but it can be paid within 5-10 years or as the owner chooses.
- So you want get waived and be cashing a big time lottery check tomorrow.
- You will get to sign with another team and that is a plus.
- The negative side of that is you don’t have a say in where your going. Free Amnesty not a Free Agent
- Yes you are waived but not free you have to go to the team that bids the highest for you as long as they are under the salary cap.
- It sounds good right unless your trying to sign with a championship team that doesn’t have the money to bid with other teams for you.
- Only if a player Amnesty is not picked by a team under the salary cap within in 48 hours can he then become a free agent. But then they would have to also pick up his prior contract
- What NBA team is going to do that?
Hey don’t sleep on the Amnesty players they have more to prove than the free agents. The free agents already proved what they could do. The Amnestys are out to prove what you said they couldn’t do.
Give me free agents or give me amnestys which one would you sign?